Sunday, August 5, 2012

Arise, Shine!



He has helped, comforted and lifted my heart more times than I can count.
He is so faithful.

Just a little behind in my blogging, so let me give you an overview for 2011.

Most of the work was pointed to Israel, to help the Israelis in anyway possible and to bring the love and word of God, to tell them of the love of Yeshua, Jesus Christ, to all who would hear.  Also during this time the Lord provided another outreach to Uganda.

The six months spent in Israel afforded opportunities to come along side to help in a soup kitchen and assist many others aside from the kitchen.  It is impossible to tell you how many times the Lord opened ways for me meet, help, counsel, teach, pray for, and to share the love and word of God with such a variety of people; Jews, Arabs, Muslims, Israelis with no faith commitment and many from outside Israel who were visiting.  To mention a few of the opportunities, the Lord opened ways to witness on the bus, bus stations, beaches, restaurants, buying meals for the homeless, engaging in conversations with Muslims and Jews in the Old City, and youth demonstrating for socializing Israel in downtown Jerusalem. These were opportunities the Lord dropped in my lap as I was out doing other things, but He had other plans.

God has shown me in my current circumstances of homelessness many of the struggles associated with this, however He has been most gracious in providing a roof over my head and a safe place to sleep.  For this I am more grateful than I can express.  Living situations kept changing as the limited income set the standard of what I could rent.  The Lord blessed with reasonable and safe housing for five weeks here, two weeks there, six weeks, one week, etc.  But it required constant moving as the situations changed.  All in all I moved eight times living in various areas of Tel Aviv, Ramat Gan, Jerusalem, and in Samaria.  Hauling what is left of my worldly belongings in two suitcases, a carryon, plus my guitar only makes me want to reduce them more (they are so heavy, but the guitar stays)!   

I can only trust the Lord has had me learn these challenges for His purposes 
knowing it will work toward His good.

The Lord had once again opened a door for me to teach in Uganda at the National Women's Conference slated for August.  I had been praying during my entire time in Israel for a place to quietly seek the Lord and compose notes and messages.  In June, a friend offered her place to me to rent while she traveled.  I could have it for the two months remaining on my visa. My main duty was to care for her plants.  It was in a settlement community where the language is almost exclusively Hebrew and Russian.  Oh, I was so grateful for this!   

Never in my life have I been allergic to any flora, however when dealing with one particular plant I succumbed to a horrible anaphylactic shock that nearly sent me home to Jesus.  It rendered blistering and bleeding sinuses, bleeding and burning bronchi, lung capacity near zero, cramping  muscles, confusion due to lack of oxygen, blisters on eyes and eye infection (essentially blind), and no voice. 

After three days and getting worse, I lay in bed wondering how long it would take for someone to find me.  Yes, it was a bad thought, but honestly when you are alone much of the time that is something that runs through one’s mind if one should ever fall or get hurt and not be able to get to help.  I had been praying and asking the Lord many things in this time; am I coming home today? ~ is today the day that I see Your face? ~ please watch over my son ~ I love him so much ~ this is going to be very hard for him ~ how was I to minister to the ladies in Uganda? ~ “Do I go there blind? ~ Because if that is what You want then blind I will go, but I do not know how to minister to them ~ I cannot see to write notes and even if I could would I be able to read them or do I just stand before them and You will speak through me something that You want me to say at that moment?” I honestly felt that even if I had to crawl to the plane I was to go to Uganda. I could feel Him hold me very close and softly tell me “Rest.  Just rest…. and when you are better I will help you”

This put my heart at peace and gave me hope because He said “when you are better” which meant I was going to get better! So I snuggle into Him as close as I could and rested, really, really rested.

About a week later I could sit up for an hour or so and tried to make notes with many eye washes and naps throughout the day.  I did manage to break my toe while stumbling down the hall to wash my eyes.  Please, are we done now?  Three weeks later and somewhat ambulatory I was able to visit the soup kitchen, though was not much help still very weak and suffering with what appeared to be a painful partially collapsed lung. However, was able to continue work on my notes for the conference.  A couple weeks later I was able to function almost normally and finish the teachings.  About a week after and somewhat stronger it was time to go to the conference.

The theme of the conference was:

“Arise, shine; ” Isaiah 60:1

Thirsty Hearts
Oh!  How good is the LORD!  How promising is His word! This fit perfectly for all the women struggling with so many difficulties ~ living on so little, but seeking and trusting in Jesus in everything and the Lord making a way.  Yes ~ God is so good. 

Having met so many at last year's conference and seeing them now really blessed my heart.  They were so happy to see me and I them.  It was a grand reunion!  The Lord comforted my heart during the teachings at the conference and the churches and villages where I also taught. 

With Henry & Mercy
After the conference I went to Mukono to visit Pastor Stephen and his wife and little Henry and Mercy, two children supported by this ministry, who are really getting big now.  They are so beautiful. Henry is sweetly shy and Mercy is very straight forward in her questions ~ not very shy at all, but very engaging.  Pastor Stephen had lined up a few churches and villages for me to speak at and the Lord blessed all these meetings. 
Teaching In Villages

In all of this I could see that the results of this were without doubt total glory to God.  He blessed with power in His word and it was evident every day. 

“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, 
in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions,
in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, 
then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10

Teaching in Churches
This is so true!  I had been so weakened in the illness and so reliant on the Lord to guide my writings that all I could do was gratefully bow to Jesus for giving me strength to endure and giving me His word to teach.  It is so hard to explain times like these.  All I can do is praise God for helping and healing and being there to lean upon.

After the conference I returned to Israel to continue volunteering, however Israel Customs determined I had spent enough time in the country for the year.  They gave me two weeks to gather my things and go back to the USA.  Mentally worn out, tired from traveling all night and now emotionally devastated that I could not return, the Lord spoke to my heart again and told me that it “is necessary for you to return” to the States.  As soon as I heard that, relief swept over me and I was comforted to have received this direction.  It was “necessary” to return.

The next four and a half months were spent in San Diego’s North County with several loving families who opened their homes to me and much help in many needs including transportation for the time I was there.  Again I moved eight times as I sought the Lord on how to return to Israel to continue helping in some way.  It was in this time that I applied to Volunteers for Israel who cleared me to work as volunteer for the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).  I was to begin after the first of the year.

The Lord our God has been gracious through all the challenges.  And I admit there are times I do not think I can do all He asks, but then He reminds me:
“Have I not commanded you? 
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid, nor be dismayed,
 for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

I pray the Lord will open many doors for you too.  Please tell me how I might pray for you and encourage you.  It is a long road for all of us and I would like to be able to help you in any way I can.

 And may the glory of the LORD rise upon you

No comments:

Post a Comment